Mondays 6:30 - 8 pm 1/9 - 3/20 (10 weeks) No class 1/16
Learn the basics of music theory as applied to guitar, developing familiarity with the fretboard through chord, scale and arpeggio practice.
• Overview of chord and scale types and where they are located
• Chord progressions commonly used in jazz and related styles
• Comping patterns
• Scale and arpeggio practice in various positions
• Reading charts and standard notation (treble clef)
• Transcribing music from recordings
• Basics of melodic improvisation
Prerequisites: ability to play basic barre chords and some familiarity with playing scales.
This class meets IN-PERSON at the California Jazz Conservatory.
About Danny Caron
B.A. in English and Music, Oberlin College and Conservatory; graduate of Howard Roberts Program, Guitar Institute of Technology, Los Angeles. Best known for being music director and guitarist for the legendary pianist and vocalist Charles Brown until his death in 2000. He has played and recorded with Van Morrison, Bonnie Raitt, Dr. John, Clifton Chenier, Donald Fagan, Hadda Brooks, Red Callender, and many others. dannycaron.com